Lu Jong Tibetan Healing Yoga
Do you want to help others heal themselves and become more balanced, more healthy & more calm?
Do you want to be part of a true lineage?
Rooted in Tibetan Medicine and Buddhism, Lu Jong is a series of rhythmic movements that systematically release blockages on the physical, energetic and mental levels. It is a very practical method for achieving health and happiness, and has profound spiritual benefits as well.
The beauty of Lu Jong is its accessibility and effectiveness for bringing all kinds of people into balance.
North American Teachers are greatly needed to meet growing demand!
We want to share this precious practice with as many people as possible, and we hope that you will be a part of this growing movement.
What is Lu Jong?
In Tibetan, Lu means body and Jong means transformation. By combining slow, meditative movements with rhythmic breathing, we effective massage blocked points open, reestablishing the harmonious flow of blood, oxygen and energy throughout the body.
Physically, Lu Jong functions on principles of Tibetan Medicine and balances all body systems. It nurtures the spine, aligns the musculoskeletal system, improves joint mobility and boosts organ function.
Mentally, Lu Jong cultivates a calm, focused mind, transforming volatile negative emotions into peace and equanimity. In fact, Lu Jong is part of a deep spiritual tradition that uses the body as the vehicle for self-transformation.
This clear system of movements comes from the lineage of Tulku Lobsang. Tulku Lobsang is a Tantrayana Buddhist Master, doctor of Tibetan Medicine & Astrology and founder of Nangten Menlang International.
To learn more about Lu Jong, you may visit this article or see the resources at the bottom of the page.
This Teacher Certification Program is offered in conjunction with Nangten Menlang International Buddhist Medical Organization.
Nangten Menlang International is dedicated to the preservation and spread of the traditional Tibetan healing arts. All methods aim to connect each of us with our own inner master and inner medicine.
Through thoughtfully curated programs and trainings, high-quality teachers play an important role in sharing these methods for the benefit of many.
STEPS TO BECOMING A LU JONG TEACHER IN THE LINEAGE OF TULKU LOBSANG
Step 1: Education
The Education is a 12-day intensive study taught by a certified Educator—in this case, Farrah Garan.
In these 12 days, you will receive all 23 movements of the Lu Jong 1 practice as well as the rich context of this practice, including its historical roots and its background in Tibetan Medicine and Tantrayana Buddhism. See below for the full curriculum for the 12-day Education.
Step 2: Certification
The Certification is when you will receive the direct transmission from Tulku Lobsang. He will share further insight into Lu Jong, how it fits into a deeper path of true health and wellbeing, and your role as a teacher.
The Certification includes both a written and practical exam. Upon successful completion of both, you will receive your certificate to teach in the lineage of Tulku Lobsang.
This is also an opportunity to connect to other Lu Jong teachers throughout North America and strengthen our network.
The Certification can be done from your home via Skype, but there will also be an option to attend in person and receive additional training in related practices.
Step 3: Renewal
After two years, you need to renew your certificate. After this first time, renewal only needs to be done every four years. This enables all the teachers to stay fresh, current and connected.
There are no prior requirements to participate in this program.
People of all backgrounds, ages (minimum of 18), experience levels and body types are very welcome. No experience with yoga or Buddhism is necessary.
If you are drawn to this program, you have self-selected. To desire to be a teacher of a movement practice implies that you feel comfortable speaking in front of others (or are willing to develop that skill as needed), are articulate, do not mind demonstrating simple movements, enjoy interacting with others, and value personal development and on-going learning.
We simply ask that you have a commitment to your own development, to your own health and happiness, and that you would want the same for others.
Come with an open heart, open mind and desire to help others and you are very welcome!
During the 12-day intensive, participants will be given the experience, context and teaching tools to effectively and confidently share the Lu Jong practice with others.
Specific topics that will be covered include:
The History of Lu Jong
- Bön and Buddhist Roots
- Lineage of Tulku Lobsang
The Benefits of Lu Jong
- Physical, Energetic and Mental Benefits
Foundations of Tibetan Buddhism
- Wisdom & Method
- Compassion & Meditation
- The Path of Tantrayana
Overview of Tibetan Medicine
- Theory of the Elements and Humors
- The Subtle Body
The Lu Jong Practice and Modifications
- Movements for balancing the five elements
- Movements for improving the musculoskeletal system
- Movements for the functioning of the vital organs
- Movements for addressing common ailments
- Movements for sleep and wakefulness
- Tsa Lung
- Kum Nye Massage
- Breathing Exercises
- Meditation Techniques
- Being an Effective Teacher
- Preparing for a Teaching
- Organizing a Teaching
- Using the international website to list your teachings
Marketing Advice & Tools
7:00 - 7:30 Morning Practice
7:30 - 8:30 Breakfast
9:30 - 10:30 Session 1 (Theory)
10:34 - 12:00 Session 2 (Practice)
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch
3:30 - 4:45 Session 3 (Pedagogic)
5:00 - 6:00 Session 4 (Movement)
6:00 - 7:00 Dinner
7:30-8:00 Reflect and Relax (Every other day)
There will be 2 rest days where you can relax, absorb your learning, and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
After the Education Intensive
You will receive continuous guidance so that you can continue to deepen your practice and teaching technique at home. This includes:
- Two Additional Class Sessions
Via online conferencing, we will explore more topics related to Lu Jong such as Traditional Tibetan Medicine, the Nature of the Mind, and the Energetic Body
- Lu Jong Support Emails
Receive consistent support in your inbox with tips, inspiration, study and practice principles to guide your at-home journey and support your certification preparation.
- Personal Assessment of Your Movement Practice
After practicing at home for some time, submit a video of yourself doing the practice. I will record an assessment and offer suggestions to refine your practice.
- Personal Assessment of Your Teaching Approach
After studying your manual and notes at home for some time, submit a video of yourself teaching, including an introduction, background topic and a movement. I will review your presentation and pedagogic style and offer suggestions to refine your teaching technique.
- Certification Preparation: Review and Refresh
We will meet again via video before the Certification to review the main principles and concepts of Lu Jong, practice together and discuss the important points for being an effective teacher. I will answer your questions and offer support so that you may show up to the Certification with confidence and quality.
During the Certification Course, you will receive Tulku Lobsang’s direct transmission. He will further prepare you to be a representative of Lu Jong by sharing the deep essence of the teaching. This is your opportunity to connect with him, the lineage holder and ask any questions you may have.
You will also take both a written and a practical exam. Upon successfully passing both, you will receive your certificate, and Tulku Lobsang’s blessing to teach in his name.
After our Education Intensive, you may register and pay for the Certification. This is done directly with Nangten Menlang International at Tulku Lobsang's main website: www.tulkulobsang.org/tourplan.
The cost of the Certification is $180 USD and is not included in the cost of the 12-day Education with Farrah.
You may choose to join the Certification via Skype if it is challenging for you to travel to the location.
What You Receive After the Certification
After becoming an officially certified teacher, you will receive the following from Nangten Menlang International:
- Official Listing as a Teacher on the International Lu Jong website (www.lujong.org)
- Your Own Personal Page on the International Lu Jong website
- Your Own email@example.com official email address
- License to Use Official Lu Jong Graphics, including:
- Lu Jong Logo
- Photos of the movements
- Photos of Tulku Lobsang
- Lu Jong traditional drawings
- Lu Jong Calligraphy
- Lu Jong Handouts
- Official Texts
- Flyer and Postcard Templates prepared by a professional graphic artist that you can use to promote your teachings
- Support from Nangten Menlang International, such as their press and marketing efforts
Additionally, You Will Receive the Following From Farrah:
- Continued access to Farrah into the future if questions arise or guidance is needed
- Access to the closed Facebook group “Lu Jong Teachers of North America”. This is a community platform for our network of teachers to support one another, ask for suggestions and share ideas.
- Special reduced pricing on future Lu Jong trainings and retreats offered by Farrah. It is important to me that you have multiple opportunities to refresh your learning and strengthen your connection to the practice and the community!
2018 Dates & Locations
April 15 - 28, 2018
Kalani Retreat Center
Pahoa, Big Island of Hawaii
This tranquil, tropical paradise is a perfect place to delve fully into our exploration of Lu Jong!
We will connect more deeply with our bodies, minds and energy in an environment where we can focus completely on our experience.
It is profoundly beneficial to step out of our day-to-day lives and immerse ourselves in the practice. When our stress is quieted and we step into this space without outside distractions, we open to all that Lu Jong has to offer.
More About Kalani
From Kalani, we will have access to the attractions on the east side of Big Island, including the nearby black sand beach, thermal pools, snorkeling, farmer’s markets and more.
To learn more about our location, please visit: www.kalani.com
Meals & Accommodations
- Kalani sources 70% local and organic ingredients.
- Omnivore, Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten-Free meal options
- Fresh Drinking water provided throughout the campus
- Fresh coffee is locally sourced from the Hilo Coffee Mill
- International flavors with a Kalani flair
- Wifi access in hotspots such as: Hale Aloha, Dining Lanai, Guest Services, and near some (but not all) accommodations
- Mini-fridge each lodge
- Yoga props such as mats, blocks, cushions
- 25-meter swimming pool
- Hot Tub
- Healing massage and bodywork sessions for an additional fee
Arrival & Departure Information
Transportation from Airport to Retreat Center
The closest airport is Hilo (ITO).
Round-trip transportation from Hilo to Kalani Retreat is included in the program cost.
If you prefer to fly into Kona (KOA) on the west side of the island, you can take public transportation or rent a car. Driving time from Kona Airport to Hilo Airport is 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Arrival Day Schedule
Sunday, April 15, 2018
Shuttle Pick-Up at Hilo (ITO): 10 am and 4 pm
Check-In: After 4 pm
Dinner: 6:00 pm
Opening Session: 7:30 pm
Departure Day Schedule
Saturday, April 28, 2018
Conclusion Session: Ends at 10:30 am
Check-Out: 11 am
Lunch: 12 pm
Shuttle Leaves for Hilo (ITO): Around 1 pm (can be adjusted based on people's needs)
August 18 - 19, 2018
Two Options for Attending:
1. Via Skype from Your Home
2. In person, in Colorado, exact location to be announced
Total cost is $3237 USD and up, depending on accommodation choice.
- 12-Day Intensive Education in Lu Jong: Tibetan Healing Yoga with Farrah
- 13-Nights Accommodations at Kalani Retreat Center in Hawaii
- 3 Delicious Meals per Day
- Round-Trip Transportation from Hilo (ITO) Airport to Kalani on April 15 and April 28
- Nangten Menlang International’s Registration Fee
- The Very Comprehensive Lu Jong Manual (340 pages) and other Teaching Materials
- Ongoing Follow-up and Support for Successful Certification
- Access to Nangten Menlang’s Licensed Material to promote your Lu Jong classes
- Official listing on the international www.lujong.org website
Cost Does Not Include:
- Travel from your home to Hilo airport
- Any additional spa treatments, massages, bodywork or classes at Kalani
- Round-trip shuttle between Hilo airport and Kalani is included in the quoted cost. However, if you are an explorer and would like to see more of the island during our free time, consider getting a rental car instead. You may like to visit Volcanos National Park, snorkel in the tide pools, walk towards Kalapana to get a view of this active volcano, or go into the town of Pahoa. If you inform us 30 days in advance (before March 15) that you choose not to use the shuttle service, you will be refunded $100.
- Payment in full is due before the commencement of the training on April 15, 2018, unless other arrangements have been agreed upon directly with Farrah.
The cost for the Certification Weekend, due before it begins on August 18, 2018 is $180 USD.
- Teachings and Practice Spanning 2-days (August 18 and 19), which can be done via Skype to eliminate travel costs
- Exam Administration and Assessment
This Does Not Include:
- We will organize an additional teaching immediately prior to the Certification. For those that would like to deepen their experience with other methods, such as Tsa Lung (a traditional Tibetan practice that combines breath retention with movement), this is a great opportunity. The cost of this teaching is not included.
- If you choose to attend the certification in person, your travel is not included.
- If you choose to attend the certification in person, the cost of your accommodations and meals are not included; however, they may be arranged on your behalf.
PAYMENT IN FULL
THREE-PAYMENT INSTALLMENT PLANS
If it is necessary to cancel your participation in this training, there is a $200 non-refundable registration fee.
The remaining balance is refundable until 45 days before the start of the training.
If canceling within less than 45 days before start of the training, 50% of the full value is non-refundable and the other 50% may be applied toward a future Tibetan Healing Movement event.
About Your Teacher
Farrah Garan has dedicated her life to spreading the deep wisdom of the Tibetan healing arts. Her aim is to make these simple—but powerfully effective—practices widely known so that many may benefit.
Farrah first learned Lu Jong in 2002 and has developed a deep love for it and the other Tantrayana practices she has received from Tulku Lobsang, including Tsa Lung, Tog Chöd and Tummo. Again and again, she experiences in herself and witnesses in her students the vitality, clarity and joy that is a benefit of these profound methods.
She has worked closely with Tulku Lobsang since 2002, as a student, chairwoman of the US branch of his organization, the North American Tour Coordinator, and as an employee of Nangten Menlang International. She is the editorial journalist for his books and has been integral in developing the Lu Jong Teacher Certification program, manual and curriculum.
Read what others have said about Farrah's teachings on the Testimonials page.
Is This Training Right For You?
Do you want to be part of a true lineage?
Do you want to teach to people of all sizes, all ages, all abilities and all belief systems?
Do you want to give your students a clear system they can use to experience immediate health and happiness?
Do you want to offer a method that not only heals the body, but is the beginning of a deep spiritual path?
There is more and more interest in Lu Jong and we need loving, compassionate individuals to help share it.
If you feel in your heart that this program is right for you, then I am sure you will find it to be worth the commitment.
This training is an investment in yourself and your community. It will open several doors for you and create new opportunities in your life.
There are many possibilities for your teachings and the benefit you give and receive will be priceless!
See you in Hawaii!!
For more detailed information about Nangten Menlang International’s policies and requirements, please review the “Points to Understand”.
We’re happy to help you to decide if this program is right for you. Contact us to ask your question or to schedule a 15-minute consultation with Farrah. Just click the button below.
Additional Teacher Trainings Offered
Here are more opportunities to teach healing movement practices from the Tantrayana Buddhist tradition in the lineage of Tulku Lobsang.